Tilly and the Buttons 'Cleo' Sewing Pattern Review

*This post contains affiliate links which means if you make a purchase through the link I will receive a small amount of commission at no extra cost to yourself*

My sewing mojo is well and truly in full swing and I've definitely got the bug. My mind is full of projects and ideas, there's so many whizzing around in there I just don't know where to start!

That was until I saw this beautiful Bee print corduroy on Amazon and I knew exactly what I needed to make from it.
The pattern is 'Cleo' from Tilly and the Buttons and I found it on offer here I knew that the fabric and pattern combination would be just PERFECT and it definitely hasn't disappointed!




So far the Tilly patterns that I have tried have all been perfect for beginners and the Cleo pattern definitely falls into that category. The way the instructions are laid out in a little booklet with coloured pictures for each step really simplifies the whole process. As a beginner myself I found it very straight forward to follow.
I took my measurements and as with most Tilly and the Buttons patterns I decided on a size 4 ( I love that her patterns are just graded with sizes 1-8 instead of giving you a dress size, I previously measured myself up for a New Look sewing pattern and was horrified that it was telling me to make a size that was 4 sizes bigger than my usual shop brought clothing!) One thing that is brilliant about this project is that it is not designed to be fitted, which means no darts or adjustments! Yay! It's more of a one shape fits all which is very handy when your just starting out sewing.




I traced the size 4 using baking paper and then cut the fabric. I actually altered it slightly because apparently as a beginner I'm awful at pattern matching!! However much I tried the bee print on the front seam just looked AWFUL! I decided to do away with the front seam and just cut the front panel in one piece and I'm so glad I did! If any of you evil sewing geniuses have any pattern matching tips I'd love for you to leave a comment below!
I also added 2 inches to the length. Being 5ft 6, I knew that it would be a little too short for me and when I'm chasing the kids I'd rather not scar someone for life with that view!

I was a little worried that my little cheapie Singer sewing machine would struggle with the thicker corduroy fabric but it really didn't it was a pleasure to sew with and fantastic quality!

The only extra thing I had to purchase for this project was the dungaree buckles which were so easy to fit! I much prefer these over having to do button holes or zips.

The final dress I am absolutely over the moon with! I was a little scared it might be a bit 'out there' to wear in public but as soon as it was finished I couldn't wait to get out there and show it off. I've had so many positive comments and had over 1500 facebook likes so I feel so confident wearing it. It even got the seal of approval from Mum, so it must be good! I absolutely love the fit and the shape and cannot wait to make more for the spring when I find some more perfect fabrics.



Thank you for reading,

Amy Harmon x

1 comment